EThOS aims to provide:
- A national aggregated record of all doctoral theses awarded by UK Higher Education institutions
- Free access to the full text of as many theses as possible for use by all researchers to further their own research.
Records are held for all UK PhD-awarding institutions, but we do not (yet) hold all records for all institutions. Every month around 3000 new records are added and an additional 2000 full text theses become accessible. Access routes to the full text are determined by the individual institution and may depend on:
- Mandatory electronic deposit of newly awarded theses by its students
- Availability of its theses in the institutional repository
- Its level of repository development
- Digitisation priorities for its print theses
To access the freely available online theses click 'Limit search to items available for immediate download from EThOS or the Institution' otherwise there maybe a charge for the scanning process (currently £44.37 + VAT £8.87 = Total £53.24). Details are provided within each record.